So you have just replaced toner in your Brother MFC-l5850dw or MFC-l5900dw, but your printer is still asking you to replace it. If you have a printer without visible key pad, resetting the replace toner error can be a challenging task. Please follow these instructions to help you fix this issue:
1. Press Home Key
2. Press “FAX” on the display to light up the key pad
3. Mark # key with a post it note and arrow. This will help you locate the # button during the next step when the key pad is no longer visible
4. Open the toner door
5. Press # button and hold down for 5 – 8 seconds until reset menu appears on display
6. Select the one option that describes your toner capacity
Here are the options that will come up on the display:
TNR-STR – starter toner cartridge
TNR-STD – standard capacity toner cartridge (tn-820)
TNR-HC – high capacity toner cartridge (tn-850)
TNR-S.HC – super high capacity toner cartridge (tn-880)
7. After selecting one of the options, press Yes to reset.
To select other options on this printer such as darkening your pages, select Settings icon on the display and press density. Select the square on the far right for the darkest pages. Also, you can increase the print contract by following the same steps.
For help with this printer or any other troubleshooting help or service, call us at 760-431-3756.